Tuesday, September 29, 2020

GOODBYE ARVIND

I have spent finest moments of my life with my cousin Arvind. This post is his memories.


तुम्हारे बिना

Pappa did his engineering from BHU and settled for a job at HMT Bangalore. He used to have LTC once in two years and this was utilised in visiting Allahabad and Banda. I do remember him with Sumitra Chachi visiting Allahabad but do not have memories of Arvind or Girish of that time. But I do remember them, with Pappa and Asha Chachi. 

In Allahabad - sometime in 1970s - Sitting from left Amma, Pappa, Asha chachi - Standing Arvind, Girish

My first memory of Arvind is one of these visits. I was fascinated by the one of the shorts that he was wearing and I got similar one stitched for myself. It used to be one of my favourite shorts. Then, once, we took the train trip to Banda together. This brought us close. 

In 1970-71, I had appeared for IMA and SSB was in Bangalore. I had gone their with Amma. Pappa was still with HMT and I remember their dog - Brownie. Bangalore was still a cheap city. Arvind and myself visited many restaurants. I had wonderful time.  

In a loss - without Sandhaya

Arvind got into NDA but was wrongly rejected on medical grounds. He was disappointed but then we encouraged him to take up career in science. When he joined BSc, I sent him, my three red volumes of ‘Lectures on Physics’ by Feynman, through a friend of mine, who was going to Bangalore.

After graduation, he wanted to do his masters in Physics at JNU. He came to Allahabad. I was in its favour but Dadda was against his joining JNU. At that time, Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore (IIS) used to offer 3 year bachelor degree course in engineering after graduation. Arvind decided to take it up. He was the only one among us, to do his studies there, the only Indian university among the top 100 universities in the World. 

This was the time, when youth festivals were becoming fashionable in schools and colleges. One of the competitions in these festivals is quiz competition. This requires a quiz master—knowledgeable in all subjects—to conduct it. Arvind was studious kind; he read books on every subject. He was not only good in science but had very good knowledge of other subjects. His vast knowledge made him the best man to be a quiz master. Very soon, Bangalore recognised his talent: he became popular quiz master; colleges invited him to conduct quiz competition. 

Arvind, Girish - HMT Colony 

Arvind was loving as well as caring brother. He would not permit anyone to bully Girish. In those days, there used to be NCC. On the parade day, they were given coupons, to be utilised in the school canteen. Arvind was in NCC but Girish, being young, wasn’t. Arvind used to save coupons; give them to Girish, who had good time in the canteen.

When Girish joined merchant navy, he started smoking. They met during Anil’s (Radhika Mausi's son) marriage. Girish could not smoke as elders were present. So he asked Arvind, to go out with him. Arvind did go out; did not scold Girish but explained to him, why smoking is injurious. Girish understood and since that day, hasn't touched a cigarette. 

Arvind always wanted to be close to his roots. So when he got into BHEL, he chose Jhansi. But he missed hustle bustle of  Bangalore. He, soon, decided to go to US for further studies, did his masters there and after completing his PhD from Virginia Tech, settled there. 

Hey, What's the joke - Shweta's marriage

We met, whenever we got opportunity. We discussed, every subject under the sun—not limiting ourselves to science or law. When I visited US for the first time in 2000, we visited him at Milwaukee. He took us to Washington Island, situate in lake Michigan. We were in Milwaukee there again in  2016; he had made plans to take us around Wisconsin but then as we were leaving, we got the sad news - Asha Chachi was no more and we cancelled the trip. 

Isn’t it ironical that a person, who wanted to be close to his roots, chose to settle in US. But, for some years, Arvind was mulling over the idea to come back to India. I thought, it was easy for him to get teaching job here. I did talk to some colleges but then Arvind thought he should first settle his house in US then take the leap back. Alas, it took more time, than he had expected. And God called him early.

Milwaukee 2019 - Happy three - Swati, Sandhaya, Arvind

Decades ago, Arvind told me that he was working on cold light: I had never heard of this. I knew incandescent bulbs were inefficient light source: lot of electricity was wasted as heat. Rods were better but not perfect. He explained the science behind cold light but it was beyond me. Now I know, he was talking about LED lights. He did his work in that field. No wonder, he was awarded twice: firstly the 'Engineer of the year 2000' and secondly the Working Group Recognition Award for Outstanding Standard Guide by the Chicago Chapter of the Institution of Electronic and Electrical Engineering (IEEE) Power Engineering Society (PES).

Well, all Chaudharys are equal but some are more equal than others. Arvind was in that class. This is Arvind; this is how, I knew him; and this is how he will remain in our memories

From left: Pappa, Asha Chachi, Arvind, Sandhaya, Irani, Girish

#ArvindKumarSinghChaudhary #Memories

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Mamaji for sharing these anecdotes of Arvind Mama with us. You were lucky to know him so well. I only met him on two occasions, on his marriage and then my marriage. Since he got married from Bhopal I had some interaction with him. I found him to be a sweet and gentle person. And I thought that he and Sandhya Mami made a great couple. The next time was for my wedding. I can still hear him tell Ma, in his American drawl, about how the groom's family refused the gifts sent. He will be missed. May his soul rest in peace 🙏.

    ReplyDelete
  2. आपकी सादगी को हम आपकी पहचान कहेंगे ,
    आपको एक सच्चा और नेक इंसान कहेंगे ,
    जब भी होगी कभी बातें ईमानदारी की...
    सबसे पहले उठकर हम आपका नाम कहेंगे ।
    आप धरती से विदा लिए हैं, किन्तु हमारे दिल में जीवित हैं। विनम्र श्रद्धांजलि ������������
    ओम् शान्ति ������
    You will be missed Arvind bhai...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yati Da : Very heartwarming & lucidly written article on Memories - Good Times by You & Arvind Da !
    Seemed almost like it was unfolding real time in front of Me !!
    Spoke with him briefly when Arvind Da had called Papa - Mummy a couple of weeks ago - Alas , didnt realize that this will be the ' Last Call ' with him . God Bless !!
    Regds

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very well written article, Yati Mama. Although I didn't know Arvind Mama well(the last time we met was in 2007 in Bhopal when he was visiting Jaya Mausi), it would have been great talking to him about so many things. Like I didn't know he hosted quizzes back in Bangalore! We could have spent hours just talking about quizzing and things related to science alone.
    I wish I could have braved past my social anxiety and made an effort to reach out to him after coming to US. Will miss him

    Dhruv

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderfully expressed piece of writing, Yati Dada. For one of the younger cousins, this adds layers to my memories of Arvind Dada. The accompanying photos bring context and depth to the experiences you have mentioned. This also helps the reader to visualise the writing as it unfolds in front of us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories of Arvind Dada with us, Yati Dada. May his soul rest in peace, eternally.

    ReplyDelete

AMU Case - Sixth & seven (a)th Point

In 1981, amendments were made in the Aligarh Muslim University Act broadly providing the University to mean the educational institution of t...