Monday, September 25, 2023

DON'T WORRY, IT WILL COOL DOWN

Prof Shyam Lal Srivastava

This is the sixth post of the series 'Happy Days Gone by'. It talks about the fifth notch of the key for the the glorious future - understand the difficulties and problems of the students and help them; it is an asset for the institution. Here is an example of the same how our teachers helped us.

Happy Days Gone By

Introduction।। Students' Enthusiasm At Allahabad - Unparalleled।। God Does Not ExistThe Unforgettable Teacher - Prof. RD Pathak।। Don't Worry, It Will Cool Down।। Can Parliament Abolish Constitution।। Fall from Grace।। We Shall Overcome।।

I was never good with my hands and always used to be uncomfortable in the practical classes. In the physics practical examination in BSc part-I, I got an experiment to find out temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR). 
In the experiment, one simply had to find out the resistance at the room temperature then heat it up, find the resistance again and calculate TCR according to the formula. 
I did not measure the resistance at the room temperature but heated the metal first and measured its resistance. I waited for it to cool down but it wouldn’t cool quickly.  I got nervous, the external examiner also took a round. I could not satisfactorily answer his questions. I thought I would fail. 
In walks, a gentleman. I had never seen before; didn’t know his name.
“He must be a teacher in the Physics department to be here”, I reasoned. 

Noticing my conditions, he soothed me, assured me not to worry, it will cool down and I will be able to complete the practical. 
He asked me if I knew why resistance increases with rise in temperature in the conductors. I answered: temperature increases the vibrations of atoms and this creates hindrance in transfer of electric energy by electrons.  
He then asked me if I knew any thing, where resistance decreases with rise in temperature. I answered in affirmative – semi conductors.
He asked me the reason for the same. I answered: with rise in temperature, more electrons are freed in semi-conductors with the result that it is easier to transfer electric energy. 

After hearing my answers, the teacher looked surprised and went away. 

Soon, I was called to the room, where the external examiner was sitting. That gentleman, who had calmed me down and had asked questions was also sitting there. I realised that he must be internal examiner for our practical examinations. 
The external examiner again asked me the same questions again. I answered them satisfactorily. Then he asked me many other questions, as if he was testing if I had clear concept of the subject or not. 
Theory was always my forte. I answered all of them to the external examiner's satisfaction. He smiled and said, I could go back to complete the practical as the rod would now be at room temperature.

Vizianagram hall inside science faculty Allahabad University

Indeed, the rod was at room temperature. I completed the experiment. I got 45 marks out of 50; perhaps the  highest in the practical exam that year. 

Next year, the gentleman taught us Electricity and I came to know his name - Professor Shyam Lal Srivastava.

Point-5: In great institutions, teachers not only understand problems of their students but also help them.  

#AllahabadUniversity #GoodTeacher #ShyamLalSrivastava #Physics

No comments:

Post a Comment

AMU Case - Eight Point

The post below explains submits that the long-standing case may not be overruled, with the help of a famous quote from Spiderman comic.   Sp...