Wednesday, March 15, 2023

India, Where Are You Heading To

Summary: This post is review of the book ‘I Was Judge's Orderly' written by  Ninder Ghugianvi and translated by Paramjit Singh Ramana (Publisher: National Book Trust).

The book has been translated into Hindi,Urdu, Bangla, Kannada, Telgu, Malyalam, Sindhi, Maithili and Bhojpuri.

I visited every World Book Fair at New Delhi, since its inception. However, discontinued doing so, in the beginning of this century: my son left for US and I became busy as a judge. I couldn’t make it even after settling at Noida. But this year I made it a point that I attend the same.

The first pavilion that I saw was of National Book Trust and glancing at the books there, a title ‘I Was Judge's Orderly' caught my attention. It is English translation  from the Punjabi book ‘Mein saan Judge da Ardali’ (मैं सां जज़ दा अर्दली) by Ninder Ghugianvi. He is singer and is prominent writer in Punjabi, having written 57 books and has regularly contributed column for newspapers and magazines. He has been awarded by  Punjab Government for his efforts. 

I picked up the book for the catchy title and the reason that it might throw light on  judges life from the perspective of their staff. And oh boy, was it not interesting and opened a new horizon for me.

The author started as a clerk of an advocate in district courts then became an orderly of Additional District judge as a domestic help. He worked with three different judges and lastly with the District Judge. The book is his reminiscences with them. 

His observations are simple but have deep meaning - worth their consideration by people in high places. At one place he says,

“Rinku [son of the judge] had no trace of arrogance in him ... Otherwise, it is often seen that sons and daughters of senior officers are pampered brats.”

Well, to a great extent, it is correct and is unfortunate. Children of powerful people, when not provided with proper  guidance,  do get power drunk. I am glad that my son had already left for IIT then abroad, when I was offered such a position. He never had chance to be power drunk. 

At other place, he recalls,

“Be it Diwali or the New Year, giving and receiving all kinds of gifts has become a custom all over India. Senior officers and other powerful people can be seen anxiously waiting for these days … People are looted in the name of customary gifts … This system of receiving and giving expensive gifts is a deeply established network of bureaucracy. Politicians, industrialists and now judges are also in loop.

… amazed to see this drama performed in the name of Diwali greetings. O my India, where are you heading to?”

Gifting family members, friends, or your subordinates for appreciation of their work is fine but receiving gifts form subordinates is improper; it should never be done. I never accepted any gifts, be it sweets or anything else from the lawyers or subordinates but many of my chiefs and seniors have presented me with their rare books that I still cherish.

There are some funny incidents in the book as well. 

“looking at the mannerism of members of high society, I too felt like having a drink. I poured out a peg … To avoid being caught by Sahib for stealing his drink I put same amount of soda into Sahib’s bottle.”

This happens not only by staff but often by family members as well. Many of my friends did the same with their father's scotch bottles.  

In the evening of my life I often wonder about the way I have lived – totally immersing myself in sports during my student days; then drowning myself in the profession of a lawyer and then of a Judge. Given a chance again, I would live life differently - I would be carefree, fun loving, less serious, make more friends, spend more time with them and family. After reading the book I have added one more dimension.

I will be more considerate, more understanding , and more empathetic to my staff.

Do read the book, you never know, it may also open new horizon for you.

#BookReview

6 comments:

  1. बहूत बहूत आभार सर। धन्यवाद। अच्छा लगा।

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Sir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review, ordering a copy today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. पुस्तक परिचय के लिये आभार। अधिक विस्तृत होने की अपेक्षा थी।

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its seems very nice Lordship that u think from this angle also

    ReplyDelete

AMU Case - Eight Point

The post below explains submits that the long-standing case may not be overruled, with the help of a famous quote from Spiderman comic.   Sp...