Sunday, August 11, 2024

ISAAC ASIMOV: It's Been a Good Life

It is a review of the autobiography of Isaac Asimov (January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992) ‘It's Been a Good Life’ edited by Janet Jeppson.

In the last century, no one has popularised science more than Isaac Asimov. He was a prolific writer. He wrote and edited more than 500 books – explaining different aspects of science for people in general. He is best known for his science fiction (Sci-Fi): the best ever written. His foundation trilogy, written in the middle of the last century, is rated to be the finest Sci-Fi ever written – though he added a few more novels to the series later. 

Asimov has written his autobiography in three parts - ‘In Memory Yet Green (1979)’, ‘In Joy Still Felt (1980)’ and ‘I. Asimov: A Memoir Asimov (1992)’. I have read his last one. Despite being an Asimov fan, I did not enjoy it: it’s voluminous, too detailed and I am not keen on his life’s frivolousness. I did not read the remaining two. 

He married twice. His second wife, Janet Jeppson did an excellent job in editing the three parts of his biography into one, titled ‘Isaac Asimov: It's Been a Good Life’. The book is shorter than any one of his three volumes, crisper and without unnecessary frills. She has also added her notes to make the meaning clearer. The book tells what inspired him to write different stories or his non-fiction. If you are an Asimov fan or read his books, then it is a must read for you.

There is an interesting incident worth sharing here. 
Asimov’s parents used to run a candy store. After they retired, they sold it and his mother decided to go to a night school to learn to write English. She learned quickly. One day, one of the teachers at the night school asked her: 

“’Pardon me, Mrs. Asimov,’ he said, stopping her in the hall, ‘are you by any chance a relation of Isaac Asimov?’ 
My mother, who was four feet, ten inches tall, drew herself up to her full height and said, proudly, ‘Yes. He is my dear son.’ 
‘Aha,’ said the teacher, ‘no wonder you are such a good write.’ 
‘I beg your pardon,’ said my mother, freezingly, ‘no wonder he is such a good writer.’” 

The book also contains one of his Sci-Fi stories, ‘The Last Question’ that Asimov considers his best. I had read it in the book ‘Nine Tomorrows’ that had nine SF stories – the finest ever written. I have presented it to many of my friends. My female friends think its last one ‘The Ugly Little Boy’ to be the best; perhaps it arouses their maternal instinct but personally I liked the first one - ‘Profession’. His edited biography mentions about ‘The Ugly Little Boy’ but not ‘Profession’ – perhaps interest do vary. Many of his short Si-Fi stories may be read here and the three mentioned above are on pages 96, 177 and 184

In the book Asimov talks about his death as well saying,

“I will accept death as cheerfully as I can when it comes, although I would like to have that death painless. I would also be glad to have my survivors - relative, friends, and readers - refrain from wasting their time and poisoning their lives in useless mourning and unhappiness. They should be happy instead, on my behalf, that my life has been so good.”

A sentiment shared by me. Two decades ago, I wrote my will, where I mentioned the similar sentiment and requested them to refrain from performing any condolence or religious ritual. I also donated my organs and body for medical research.

Well, read and enjoy the book.

#BookReview #autobiography #It'sBeenAGoodLife #IsaacAsimov

No comments:

Post a Comment

ISAAC ASIMOV: It's Been a Good Life

It is a review of the autobiography of Isaac Asimov (January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992) ‘It's Been a Good Life’ edited by Janet Jeppson.